Our programme is called C r A z E and it is an alternative game-show that involves a team of two contestants that take part in challenges in order to move up the scale of money and win the jackpot. The target audience for our show is families and would plan to air it at 7.00pm on ITV1, replacing ‘The Cube’ on which our show is based on.
I took on the role of the vision mixer in the group, deciding which shot to use next and transitioning them. I also helped with the sound and did a bit of editing. All of these job roles were of the technical skill, but I already had knowledge of how to go about these roles in order to complete the filming. If I were given the chance to do things differently, I maybe would have used some different shots, or maybe participated a bit more in the editing.
During pre-production, we planned what genre we would do for our show and took inspiration from existing programmes to plan our show. I think that we were well organised during pre-production and that by the time we came to filming, we were well prepared and ready to shoot. We had call sheets, shot lists, cast/crew lists, and more work that we did during pre-production to ensure that the filming went as smoothly as possible. Apart from a couple of cast changes, I believe that filming went well. Everyone did their job roles well and rose to the challenges that came our way. We all knew what was going on as communication within the group was well established.
Our show is recognisable as a game-show format, and we have achieved this through studying other game-shows and taking certain aspects of it and inserting it into our production, e.g. the challenges. The way we set it out reflects other game-shows, like having the voiceover introducing the challenges and then the contestant taking part in it, then revealing whether they have passed or not. The way we framed and shot it was well planned, with most of the shots being medium-close up shots but sometimes including extreme close up shots on the contestant. We included arial shots to show the challenge, and then change all the shots to get all the angles of the challenge. The lighting in the challenges was just one spotlight that lit the contestant, and then filters to show whether they passed or not. The lighting wasn’t great, as when the filters were applied, the lighting went really dark, and the contestant couldn’t be seen. During the challenge, there is not much sound, apart from the contestant moving slightly, so we decided to add in a voiceover who controlled the challenges and introduced them. For this we had a sound pack and recorded Adams voice and manipulated it to sound low and menacing. We then added this to the footage that we captured. As well as the voice, we had a piece of music that we thought was appropriate to the show and added that in as well. A lot of time went into editing our show and we cut where we thought appropriate and put it together in the style that we planned our show to be like. The pace of our editing is quite slow and tense, as that was the atmosphere that we wanted the show to be like. The footage alongside the music builds up into an anti-climax, then leading into the next challenge being introduced. Overall, I believe our show worked the way we planned to, and I think that it came out better than we first thought it would be. If we were to do this again, I think that I would only change a few things like the lighting, in order to make it even better than our original.
When we went to the Engine Room, we had the chance to work with producer Andrew Buchanan in order to pitch our programme and make it better. He helped us plan how to write a proposal in order for it to catch a commissioners eye, and tips in how to make our programme better. We showed our show to a few people in order to get some feedback into how we can make it better and we took on board that we should clean up the sound in the voiceover as some people couldn’t understand what was being said.
This unit has taught me the principles of multi-camera production such as looking for a niche that it missing from current television schedules and creating something that would stand out from the typical multi-cam production that is being shown on current T.V. I have also learnt about how important it is to research the demographic that you are aiming for in order for it to be successful within that age range. Working as a team hasn’t been a hassle as I have done it before. Communication was not an issue within our group and we all worked together to get our production done.